Good End

I’ve wanted to head to Umra ever since I came back from KSA 7 years ago. Recently, I got the chance to go again as a school trip, and unfortunately, I don’t have a mahram. This fact was the last thing I had in mind. I searched a lot about Umra being accepted without the company of a mahram and found out that it would, except that you’ll be going against the Sunnah in the process. It took me days to be convinced and think logically. It’s not written for me, so why fight it?

My friends, for some unknown reason, are not going either. And others chose weddings over the chance of visiting bait Allah in Makka and AlMadina. I can’t understand this kind of people, those who can’t make up their mind and have the guts to compare the two. Your sister, aunt, cousin, uncle is getting married. So what? And what, in the world, is it going to do to you? ‘
Weddings are once a life time.. .’ Oh yeah? What about accomplishing a religious pilgrim? How on earth are you going to make sure that you’ll live till you have the chance to do Umra again? There are no guarantees. Actually, no one’s life should be taken for granted, because they aren’t, as simple as that.


Who knows, you might drop dead before attending the wedding. Wouldn’t it be better if you passed away while you had the pure intention of doing Umra and visiting the Prophet’s (Peace Be Upon Him) grave? All these pleasures of life are temporary. One day, you would die, you have got no say in this, and you will leave everything behind. What you gained from an enormous amount of money wouldn’t matter, not then, when you’re in the womb of your own grave, under the ground, just like you have never existed. This can change based on your good deeds in life and what you worked for the hereafter.

عن أبي هريرة أن رسول الله قال:
إذا مات ابن آدم انقطع عمله إلا من ثلاث: صدقة جارية، أو علم ينتفع به، أو ولد صالح يدعوا له..

Prophet Mohammed (PBUH) said: "When a person dies all his good deeds cease except for three: a continuous charity, beneficial knowledge, and a righteous son who supplicates for him." [Muslim]

Basically the Hadith mentions the three important things;

1. Continuous charity: Such as building mosques, schools, or any other forms of institutes that serves a good cause.

2. Gaining Knowledge:The first verse of the Quran that was sent from Allah (SWT) through Jibreel (PBUH) to the Prophet Mohammed (PBUH) was ‘اقرأ’ meaning ‘read’ emphasizing on the importance of learning and gaining knowledge, not to forget, enlightening others.

3. A righteous son: raising your child based on religious beliefs is one of the things that would benefit you and the community during your presence and after your death.

This leads me to mention my second cousin’s death on Dec, 26th. She was in her mid-twenties, a young, beautiful and intelligent girl who drew smiles on everyone’s face. A couple of months ago, she was suffering from TB, and was somehow okay afterwards, so she returned back home. Things were slightly better till she was due to travel for treatment. All her close friends and family members gathered around before that day to say goodbye, and how lucky they were as she was gone for real the other morning.

Her death came to us as a shock; she was an easy-going person with a great sense of humor and cheerful personality, and just as she was alive, she passed away peacefully. (God bless her and may she rest in peace)

At the funeral, I couldn’t imagine how her mother would look like after she had just lost her only daughter, thus I was surprised by what I saw from the mother’s behaviour. There were no tears streaming down her eyes, no loud cries or anything of that sort. All I had to say was Mashallah, she’s one faithful women. She accepts and strongly believes in Allah’s qadar as she’s also aware of her daughter’s place; heaven, inshallah.

A lot of people attended the funeral, but mostly her friends whom she met in Islamic lectures. She had made sure to never miss a chance. A true example of a muslim woman indeed. My mother was amazed by how bright my cousin’s face was after the 3’osil, even though she was a bit tan.

One could only hope to be such an obedient person to be both remembered and blessed.

Don't we all just wish to be like this man?


اللهم ارزقنا حسن الخاتمة ~

+ On a different note, I recently got the chance to sit down with a newly-muslim women who just got into Islam (a few weeks ago) and her two children. We’ll meet up sometime this week plus my mom’s friend who’s an Islamic teacher (and have done this a lot of times before). She asked me to join since I’m pretty interested and might be of help in translation.

The question here is what are they supposed to know?

We can’t mention everything from the beginning so as not to scare her and the kids off, but we’ll surely start off with the basics. Do they need evidence from the Qu’ran or Hadith?

And have you ever been in this situation before? How and what did you do/say exactly?

2 comments:

Arab-esque said...

Insightful.

I admire your passion and interest for our faith and religion. I am pretty interested in learning more about our faith, however I don't think I possess the same determination and passion for it. I know it is a bad thing, but I am working on becoming a better muslim Insha Allah. :D

Sara said...

Memento mori (Latein for remember you must die)

Loads of people seem to have forgetten that these days lol. They work for the Duniya which we know is gonna go and yet do nothing for the A5era which is something that is forever.

And about the lady, I'd recommend Yusuf Estes videos on the topic, he's pretty good at explaining how to welcome and help new Muslims into the faith