Another Eid

‘Mamma,ileyoum el3eed?’ (1) were the first words I heard on the morning of Eid, ‘aiwa, beser3a elibes eldishdasha, abook yente’9rak barra3’ (2) my mom answered my little brother’s silly question.

I remember feeling very cranky and too lazy to wake up on my own, so I waited to hear any knocks on the door. Minutes later, I jumped off of my bed reluctantly and hurried to my parent’s room where I saw my little sister dressing up. She smiled at my shyly. ‘3eeeeedkuuuuuum emabareeek..wain 3ediyati?’(3) I repeated what I usually said on every past Eids, ‘roo7i tejahzi, 7abeebti’ (4) my mom said, I nodded and started getting ready.

After about an hour, we were at granny’s having breakfast together, and that’s when my uncle called from NZ. ‘Shoof i5wanak wo a5awatik kelhom jalseen yef6arro, wo inta ma heni. Eshtagnalkom abooy’ (5) my granny’s voice trailed off behind her sobs. I was glad that I finally had the chance to hear their voices for the second time in two years.

We got our Eidiyas and had lunch then headed to my granny’s (Dad’s part of the family). I then took a glance towards my grandpa’s room, and had to remind myself that he’s gone, and this was the first Eid we’ll have to celebrate without him. The room looked empty, literally.

My Eid ended when we all sat together and had our dinner and returned back home at eleven last night.

Hope ya'll enjoyed yours, as well.


Trans:
Eid = Muslims celebrate it twice a year.
(1) Mom, today's eid?
(2) Yes, now get going, your dad's waiting in the car for you.
(3) Happy Eid, where's my eid's money?
(4) Get ready, sweetheart.
(5) Everyone's having breakfast together without you, we've missed you.

0 comments: