The End Of My Teaching Experience

Today is the final day of the summer course I agreed to teach at for 3 lessons a day;

  • 8-9 AM: Kids from 4-8 years old.
  • 9-10:30 AM : Students from 10-13.
  • 1-3 PM: Students from 13-19.

The first group of 4-8 years old were the most enjoyable and tiring ones. All I had to do is teach how to write a new letter after revising the last one. There are times when they'd start calling me repeatedly, seeking for my attention and that's when their yelling hit my nerves.

Special students; Ru2a..There's a lot to say about her. You know how super hyper kids at 6 can be? Well, she's like that and even more. The word 'sitting down' is not in her dictionary and cannot, in any way, be added. At first, I just didn't want to deal with her as she simply disturbs the flow of the class and distracts the other students from paying any attention to what I say. She'd kick this and tease that as long as she does something then that's what pleases her. Another thing that appealed to her was watching Sana channel on TV so I snatched the opportunity as a threat and indeed, it worked!

Students from 10-13 years old were very pampered and wouldn't try solving a new worksheet on their own claiming that it was very hard. And the next thing I know, some of their parents come up to me and complain about it. Well, what if I gave your kids A B C's, will it satisfy you? Easy things won't improve anyone.

Older students group of 13-19 years old weren't used to being talked to with English all the time but by time, they understood that it's for their better good and started responding and asking if they had any doubts. I started out on a serious note and laid back when I knew I could be-friend them.

They wrote letters to me today and I was having the time of my life going through them and knowing that I have made a change in their lives, no matter how small this change is.

Would I do it again? So far, I don't know. But, if I did, I'd have the full knowledge on how it is going to be and hence, would take full responsibility of my decision. But for the time being, I'd say goodbye to my desk:

Now that this is off my shoulders, I should seriously start shopping & packing for China. So the countdown begins from now on and this topic shall have a post of its own. Stay tuned!

0 comments: