Never Understood Why...



Things like sky-diving, bunjee jumping, cliff diving and the list just goes on and on of extreme sports...I've never understood why would people do it? Why would someone risk his life for the thrill of the moment? For the adrenaline rush? These mere reasons do not satisfy my senses, I need something more reasonable than poor excitement to put your life at stake.

For one, I'm afraid of trying new things; games for example. Roller-coasters scares the hell out of me so why would I even think of going in for the ride? Unlike others, I'm not afraid to admit that I'm a wimp, a huge one at that, but just recently and in China to be exact, I tried on a scary-looking game. I seriously do not know why I did but I wanted to get out my 'comfort' zone and wanted to experience what fear is like so I decided to tag along with my little brother. The long queue was draining the last bits of courage I got and I've even thought of going back. Before I knew it, I had to hand in the tickets and take a seat at the round circle.



The moment I seated myself in, I secured myself with the upper belt and there's was this Chinese guy next to me who said 'hello' in his Chinese-accent and normally I'd respond back but right then, I said 'leave me alone' in Arabic because for the life of me, I was tensed. The game started, we'd take off in the air, to the left and then the right..and that damn upper belt used to raise whenever we were soaring above. I hold it tight as if I were crying for dear life. It jumped up and we were high above and I felt like my heart was lifting everytime the cycle continued. I was crying. I didn't care but I was repeating 'bismellah' out loud. It felt like the right thing to do.

When we hit the ground for the last time, my head was spinning. And my face had the weirdest stripes of wet tears which my sister later pointed out with a laughing and accusing finger. I recounted my hysterical moments of holding the upper belt tight and was told there was another belt that should have been wrapped around the waist. How stupid of me to think they'd let us fall right from the sky!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

No worries, I am afraid of those things as well. I can't breathe whatsoever if I get on those rides... fear doesn't allow me to breathe or even move an inch.

I stopped going to those kind of games because I am 100% sure if I kept going I would die from not being able to breathe in and out. I prefer not doing crazy stuff that will lead to horrible things.

developar said...

Cmon, most of the "risky" adventures are nit that dangerous and I would try any one of them when I have the chance.

It's about living the moment and experiencing our own limits.

Maryam said...

Squinty: Agreed.

Mohammed: Why are they called risky if they're not dangerous then? Experiencing our limits within limits, not beyond.

developar said...

Wise words. But there is this small percentage of something might go wrong. Although it is in everything but maybe speed & rush & the screaming is the main ingredients of those adventures.

AmasE°♥ said...

Reading ur emotions in this post let me felt that i want to scream loudly... i really get scared of these games too...

just_simple said...

blame it on the ppl who were supposed to check if every1 has tightened their seat belts:-/
on the brighter side, now u know how it really feels:D

4 me, as u said, it's the adrenalin rush, the thrill, something out of ordinary...something i don't get to experience frequently! it's what drives me..and the feelings i get b4, whilst, and after are just indescribable:)