Going Green

No, not recycling, although I wish I could throw the piles of papers in a recycling bin in Oman for a change.

But, I've started a 'fruit and veggies' diet only a couple of days ago and it's going pretty fine, thank God. Reason is, rice have never appealed to me, the only reason why I had it for lunch is thanks to our Arabian culture to have it daily. And I was just searching online to spice up my meals, or in other words, getting creative in what I eat now and I found the most delicious-looking recipes. Simple ones, to be exact. You could check them out here.

Think you'd like this one too? I know I have.

White Beans and Cherry Tomato Salad Recipe


INGREDIENTS
1 15-ounce cans of white beans, such as Great Northern or canelli beans, drained and rinsed
1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
1/3 cup coarsely chopped parsley
Dressing ingredients:
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
3 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
1 3-inch sprig of fresh rosemary
3 anchovy fillets, coarsely chopped (omit for vegetarian option)
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
3/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
1 teaspoon lemon zest
1/4 cup of lemon juice

METHOD

1 Start by making the dressing. Put the garlic and rosemary in olive oil in a small saucepan. Heat on medium until the rosemary begins to sizzle. Remove the pan from the heat and let sit for 20 minutes, allowing the rosemary and garlic to infuse in the oil.

2 Remove rosemary sprig from the oil, discard. Remove the garlic from the oil, reserving the oil. Add the garlic, anchovies (omit for vegetarian option), Parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, lemon zest, and lemon juice to a food processor. Pulse until smoth.
3 In a medium bowl, gently fold the garlic mixture in with the beans until they are well coated. Let sit for a few minutes for the beans to absorb. Gently mix in the reserved olive oil, tomatoes, and parsley.

Or THIS.

4 comments:

Rumaitha said...

You just put salt into my already exposed wound. I so loathe rice and bread and salads have been a fantasy to have nowadays since I mived back to live with family from abroad. Rice just repels me so much but there's no other option but to eat that.

I'll note down the recipes and see if I can try persuade mom to allow me in the kitchen since it's off-limits =p

7ayatistic said...

Loving the new theme and the cooking related post ;)

Me said...

^ LOL Off-limity ha? xD

I hope you'd be able to commit to this for as long as you want. I find myselff swallowing junk every day more and more, and although it may not show... I feel sorry for my body, I plan on completely quitting junk and maturing when it comes to food once I'm 20. :P

Good luck Kitten.

Maryam said...

Rummy: Good luck doing that.

7ayaa: Thanks :)

Buthy: 'Later' is always the keyword. Thank you.